Fresh Start, an intensive outpatient substance abuse treatment program, offers outpatient services for people ages 18 or older whose use of alcohol or other drugs has impacted their ability to function successfully. The program is designed to help participants develop skills for making responsible decisions about personal substance use. It consists of four-hour sessions, three to four times a week, which are followed by 12-weeks of aftercare supportive services. The length of participation in the program varies based on individual needs. Concord Hospital also offers two group experiences, one for those who are not sure they have a problem with drugs or alcohol and one for those who need to satisfy a requirement of specified hours to restore their driving privileges.
Concord Hospital's legacy of providing care for the community's underserved began more than a century ago, with the formation of the Concord Hospital Association in 1884. In 1891, the association's headquarters could no longer meet the needs of the growing city and was replaced with the Margaret Pillsbury General Hospital. The 50-bed facility was built in response to the community's need for a charitable hospital that would provide care for the city's sick and poor. Meanwhile, a group of charitably inclined women were establishing a hospital for poor women and children. Five years after the opening of the Pillsbury General Hospital, the Memorial Hospital for Women and Children was opened on South Street in Concord.
Despite expansions, the hospitals grew out of their facilities. At the start of World War II, it was evident a merger would be the most efficient way to care for the community. In 1946, the two hospitals merged to become Concord Hospital; however, 10 years passed before the two facilities joined under one roof at 250 Pleasant Street — the site of today's Concord Hospital/Capital Region Health Care (CRHC) campus. In 2003, the hospital completed construction of an 82, 000-square-foot addition to the south side that includes the 28, 000-square-foot Payson Center for Cancer Care, new main entrance and rotunda, Karner Blue Café and expanded space for cardiopulmonary, diagnostics and laboratory services, a new Intensive Care Unit (ICU) waiting area, and additional administrative and conference space.
Dedicated June 1, 2003, the Payson Center features state-of-the-art radiation oncology services (in partnership with Elliot Health System and Radiation Oncology Associates), chemotherapy provided by New Hampshire Oncology-Hematology, highly skilled cancer surgeons, comprehensive support services, a resource library and boutique. The new addition is also equipped with wireless technology. In addition, the expansion included adding a third parking garage.